December 5, 2011

Ipad Apps for Lawyers

I was recently gifted an iPad 2, an item with which I am mildly in love. I have discovered a few apps which I am using regularly in my law practice. Since I have had so many people ask about the utility of tablets in the practice of law, I thought I would blog about my favorite apps. I should preface this list with the statement that I have not paid for a single app - every app on this list was free (legally) when I downloaded it.

Blogger - Blogger is the Google blogging software that Taylor Legal uses to publish our blog. The Blogger app lets me quickly post from my iPad. The app was designed for functionality with an iPhone, so it can be a bit cumbersome to write long posts. This app is best for short posts, such as an individual link to a news article.

Constitution - Constitution is simply a copy of the US Constitution in an easy to navigate format. Each section is accessible individually, and notes are included detailing information on clauses and amendments, as well as historical notes relating to ratification. Additionally, the app features short biographies on each signer of the Constitution.

Dragon Dictation - Dragon Dictation records speech to text. The program does a fairly good job of accurately recording notes. Punctuation can be included by speaking common phrases such as "question mark" or "dollar sign".

Dictionary - Dictionary.com in an app. This is great for when you just can not break out the old Rand McNally - or when you have been challenged in a game of Scrabble.

Dropbox - The Dropbox app links to your Dropbox account that remotely stores files. This allows access to your documents while you are out of the office.

Evernote - Evernote stores notes, links, pics, and the like and syncs with all the devices that have the program installed on it. One useful feature of Evernote is that the program automatically converts printed or handwritten text in images so that it is searchable.

Fastcase - Fastcase's app provides free access to items in it's law library.

iTranslate - iTranslate is a program that will convert text from one language to another. Additionally, it has a speech to text feature.

LawStack - LawStack provides quick access to the Federal Rules for Appellate Procedure, Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure, Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure, and the Federal Rules of Evidence.

WestlawNext - WestlawNext provides access to Westlaw via my account.